Saturday, November 17, 2012

Set Your Anchor

I haven't written since the end of the 31 day challenge. To be honest, I was tired by the end of October!  I was also unsure of where this little project was heading and if it was really making a difference. What I realized over the last couple of weeks is that writing for Leaning into Peace makes a difference for me. It helps me stay focused on meditation and the practice of loving kindness not only on the cushion, but throughout the day in every action and interaction (ideally.) It also gives me space to process and appreciate the impact this practice has on my life, the life of my family and society in general. Finally, it forces me to empty myself of my egoic concerns and rely unquestionably on God for guidance, inspiration, and grace.

I am a Christian; that is my faith language and the path I choose to travel (although I owe much to teachers from other traditions!) You might be a Christian as well; protestant or catholic, practicing or not practicing. Maybe you are Hindi, Buddhist, Muslim, Jewish, Sufi, agnostic, or atheist; practicing or not. I will not try to convert you.

It’s obvious if you are anywhere in the western world that we are approaching Christmas. In a couple of weeks, Christians will enter the season of advent. As we tell our children, “we are preparing to come close to the mystery of Jesus.” You can’t just walk up to a mystery; you have to get ready!

I’m going to be writing, let’s say 3 times a week, on getting ready. You need not be Christian for these thoughts to apply. We are entering a time of year when we are bombarded from every direction with messages that we should buy more, have more, do more, BE more. It is almost impossible not to be swept up in the current. Let's take some time to explore what we really want. Let's each find and set our own anchor.


I'm holding you in the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment